[audacity4blind] Audio renditions of a comic strip/series

  • From: Jacob Kruger <jacob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2017 11:02:48 +0200

Mildly OT, but, don't know if mentioned this here before - don't think so - but, we got official permission from the one publisher to record relatively simple audio renditions of the one comic strip/series - the far side - and, our volunteer has been using her cellphone to record these audio clips, which I then use audacity to clean up, first using the mp3 conversion batch process to convert them all from .m4a into .mp3 - think she's recording them using an iPhone.

Anyway, after that, am generally using noise reduction, applying compression, normalisation, to even out levels since she's literally just recording this with her cellphone lying on the table in front of her, and, I then generally apply the treble boost equaliser effect, to just improve the sound quality somewhat.

Lastly, I then use mp3gain to try get all of the clips to have a similar volume level, since they're being recorded in batches, at different times, etc. etc., and there I'm just using a target output volume of 91db - just seems to be roundabout the right one if, for example, you listen to these clips on a cellphone.

Anyway, if you want to give any of these a listen, there are currently 57 little audio clips, averaging roundabout 30 seconds each hosted on the following page - just one of them was recorded by a different person, using a proper headset microphone:

http://www.c-true.co.za/ct_farside/index.php

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA
"Resistance is futile, but, acceptance is versatile..."

The audacity4blind web site is at

Subscribe and unsubscribe information, message archives,
Audacity keyboard commands, and more...

To unsubscribe from audacity4blind, send an email to
audacity4blind-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
with subject line