[audacity4blind] Re: ASIO again

  • From: Robert Hänggi <aarjay.robert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 May 2015 21:18:08 +0200

Hi David

Sound cards have either ASIO support or not.
If not, one can install "ASIO for all"--an emulator for the hardware
functionality.
You've read the comment of its developer.

I suppose, what you actually want is the support of ASIO drivers in
Audacity, either genuine drivers or via ASIO for all.

Audacity needs the STK from Steinberg, the right holders in order to
receive data per ASIO.
The license is unfortunately not compatible with Audacity (you can of
course register and build Audacity with that STK yourself).

The (Audacity) developers try to get ASIO comparable results by
employing e.g. Wasapi and Kernel streaming on Windows.

In summary, ASIO for all is a hardware emulation that probably could
be implemented in Audacity.
However, it makes no sense because the stream can't be interpreted by
Audacity without the protected ASIO libraries from Steinberg.

Best
Robert

Looking at the ASIO for All website (FAQ), I see this commentary from the
developer:

Q: Is there a way to contribute to the ASIO4ALL development effort? I
haven't found a "Donate" button, but I'd like to make a donation!

A: I have received quite a number of these kind offers from people. First of
all, thank you for this! It gives me hope in a society where, according to
some who unfortunately appear to be running the show, virtually every aspect
of human interaction is dictated by the laws of marketplace economy,
shareholder
value and whatnot, essentially excludiung the possibility of someone willing
to give away money or other valuables to a total stranger where there is no
obligation at all! Anyway, even though I deeply despise some aspects of
capitalism, so far I managed to do fairly well, financially. Thus, if your
resources
are limited, they are best spent on buying one or the other essential piece
of gear to support your music. If, OTOH, there regularly is some drinking
money
left in your pocket at the end of the month, and you feel that more drinking
is not going to improve your quality of life, you are free to donate to one
of the few non-SCAM organizations that strive to improve or even save the
lifes of folks who could really use a little help - as a matter of
understatement.
Another reason is - even though it might not actually mean that - accepting
donations would give me a sense of owing to people - removing the aspect of
a recreational activity from the project at least somewhat. Oh yeah: And if
you are what could be referred to as "wealthy" and you absolutely feel that
my name should appear in your last will, feel free to contact me at any time
of the day, any day...

With the developers attitude, such as it is, why is there an issue with
including ASIO in builds of Audacity?

It seems like, especially for those of us who don't have time to take the
learning curve into building Audacity from scratch, it would be most
considerate to have ASIO built in. Even a "ready to build" version would be
great for those who want to enjoy Audacity with ASIO, but cannot or willnot
attempt to learn to setup the tools to build Audacity with ASIO.

Best,
David