[atari7800] Re: Paddles and trackballs

  • From: "Eckhard Stolberg" <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxx>
  • To: <atari7800@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 15:21:55 +0200

Second, a trackball proof of concept. I don't have one myself so I can't
test it out. Again, a DLI is used to sample the trackball multiple times per
screen.

Which Trakball does your program read, the CX-22 or the CX-80? And how often do you sample new data? In my experiments with the Trakball on the 2600 I found that you'd need at least 20 values per frame for a smoothly moving cursor.

I'm also planning on doing one for the driving controller. I just have to
figure out Thomas's code from StellaList and make it work for both players.

The driving controller works the same way as the CX-80 Trakball (wich is the same as the ST mouse, BTW). But it only has one axis and a much lower resolution. So, if your demo is programmed for the CX-80, it should work with the driving controller too.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg