[atari7800] Mega sprite demo

  • From: "Eric Ball" <ek-ball@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <atari7800@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 21:10:25 -0500

The following is a demo of the capabilities of the 7800 and some more sample
code (simpler than SpaceWar).  It shows an increasing number of balls
(topping out at 256 total) bouncing randomly off the edges of the screen.
All eight palettes are used, for 24 simultaneous forground colors.

There may be up to 31 balls in a single zone (which I think is fairly close
to the limit of what the 7800 is capable of anyway).  When more than 31
balls cross paths, the balls will flicker.  If balls are split top/bottom,
then I've exceeded the capabilities of the 7800.

One important change (versus SpaceWar, which I need to update to make the
same change) is I've reversed the Y axis so 0,0 is the top left corner. This
simplifies the kernel slightly.

Questions and comments are welcome.

PS Heaven/TQA has posted the source & binary to an intro he is working on at
http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=41740