[asvs] Welcome

  • From: "Will Pearson" <will-pearson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <asvs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 18:02:49 +0100

Hi All, and apologies for the delay between getting this out and the initial
call.  I've been trying to figure out how to fund a PhD after quitting my
contracter job with one of the AT vendors.
Firstly, thanks for taking the time to be interested in the project, and I hope
you have a great time being part of it.

So, what are we about?  Well, for anyone wo has ever used the Opticon, we're
trying to creat an audio equivalent to that.  Basically, if you think about a
pixel as being a bit of light from a specific point, we're trying to do the
same, but with sound, using different frequencies to indicate different colors.

Hopefully, by the end of it we'll have something that will allow access to
graphics, maybe even to print based writing.  All this, should, I hope, break
down a few of those access barriers we come across all too frequently.  As I've
said before, the intention is just to create this on a non profit basis, and
use our skils as HCI professionals, developers, end users, or whatever, to
bring something special and innovative to the community.  Anyone can
participate, as pretty much anyone has something to bring to this, even if it's
their thoughts on where it can be used and what for.

What next?  Wel, we're really at the design and setting up stages.  So, expect
some discussion on where this sort of thing could be used, what for, who by,
and so on.  It's all useful stuff, which can help us design software that
people want to use, is easy to use, and something that people may even like
using *smile*.  Then it's onto coding it!

I'll be sending out details of the basic concept, some background reading, and
throwing out some discussion topics, over the next few days.  In the mean time,
feel free to discuss what ever you want that's related to the project, after
all, it's your project as much as it is mine.

Thanks,

Will