[astcq-discuss] Proposal for Survey of Australian Technical Communicators

  • From: Jean Hollis Weber <jean@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: astcq-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 06:57:15 +1000

Proposal - Survey of Australian Technical Communicators 2003

Summary
-------

I propose to conduct a web-based survey of technical communicators
working in Australia or for Australian companies. The survey is
intended to find out the relationship between experience,
qualifications, work done, location and salaries (or hourly rates)
earned by these technical communicators.

I am requesting that the ASTC (Q) become one of the sponsors
of this survey.

I am also approaching the ASTC (NSW), ASTC (Vic) and the
STC (Aus) for sponsorship and a small contribution toward the
out-of-pocket costs.

The survey will be conducted using a commercial web-based survey
tool. It will be advertised as widely as possible through STC and
ASTC newsletters, austechwriter and other online lists, and any other
means I can think of. I will collate and analyse the results and post
them on a website. I also plan to publish the results elsewhere, for
example in ASTC newsletters.

I think this is an ideal project for the ASTC to sponsor, as it will
provide value to technical communicators in Australia and also raise
the awareness of our organisation among those who hear about or
respond to the survey.

Background
----------

It's been quite awhile since the previous surveys in 1990, 1992 and
1994(?) and much has changed since then.

Comments and questions on the austechwriter list and elsewhere
indicate a need for a current salary survey.

I have a set of questions modified from surveys conducted by TCANZ
(Technical Communicators of New Zealand), Winwriters, and STC.
Committee members are welcome to comment on the draft survey and
suggest improvements; contact me offlist and I'll send you a copy.

I have investigated many online survey tools. The free ones are too
limited (either in time, or number of questions allowed, or number of
respondents allowed) for our needs. Among the paid tools, I have
identified two with similar features and costs: surveymonkey and
surveykey. Both services provide spreadsheet-ready results files for
further analysis offline.

Timetable
---------
by 11 May         Obtain agreement from STC and ASTC
now until 11 May  Collect comments on draft survey questions
12-15 May         Finalise survey questions and set up on Web
16-18 May         Test/debug
19 May - 15 June  Advertise survey; collect data
15 June - July    Analyse data
August            Write up and publish results

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
jean @ jeanweber.com

To search the astcq-discuss archives, visit
//www.freelists.org/archives/astcq-discuss/

To change your settings using the web interface, login at
//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi/

astcq-discuss-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx