[askdba] Re: Query of control file

  • From: Nisar Tareen <ntareen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vijay k singh <kush0812@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 09:42:10 -0800 (PST)

Vijay,

Database do crash and stop in 24/7 env. also. time to time we do bounce
database, we have over 3000 production databases.

Your database will have more than one crontal file so,  save the good one right
now and take a backup for your own  alter database backup control to trace
resetlogs; (I)  ( will be saved in udump directory to be used if you have to
create the control file manually)

If the control file is croupted your database will crash, if it is up and
running means the file used by the system is not croupted.

You can create a new control file from the file you have in steip (I).

Sstartup  mount
         and  control file file from trace with the changes  of  USE  to   SET.

( Just read through  any recovery manal or the last step of clone database)

Regrds.
vijay k singh <kush0812@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dear Nisar,

Hi,
   i wanna know in a 24/7 production environment how would you know if your
control file is corrupt.

we can't shutdown the server...however one method is backing of control file
through RMAN But the I wanted to know is there any method apart from this to
find out corruption in control file.

thanx

vijay k.s. kushwah

Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!