[ascct] UK's NC3Rs call for 2013 challenge ideas

  • From: Kristie Sullivan <KSullivan@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ascct@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ascct@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 22:09:58 -0400

From the UK's National Center for the 3Rs:

We are pleased to announce our open call for 2013
Challenges<http://www.crackit.org.uk/sponsor>.

In 2011 we showcased six CRACK IT Challenges, invested £3.5 million and
connected 19 organisations from five sectors in five new projects. In 2012 we
had five new Challenges, co-funding from the Medical Research Council
<http://www.mrc.ac.uk/> and the Technology Strategy
Board<http://www.innovateuk.org/> and a total budget of £3.75 million. 10 phase
1 studies have been awarded and the Mini Challenge is underway.

 CRACK IT 2013

Have you a Challenge related to the use of animals in your research area? CRACK
IT could help you solve this by funding research and development and providing
access to scientists from a wide range of disciplines.

CRACK IT Challenges are developed in two ways:

1.    Via an open call for Challenge proposals from the scientific and business
community
2.    To support ongoing NC3Rs programmes or other areas where a strategic
alignment may be beneficial

If you have an idea for a 3Rs Challenge and would be willing to provide in-kind
contributions such as data, compounds or equipment please get in touch with the
CRACK IT Team.  Ideas from the academic and industrial sectors are welcome.
Challenge proposals will be evaluated on their suitability according to the
criteria described below.

Criteria: Proposals for Challenges must include ideas that will either improve
business processes or lead to new marketable products. The 3Rs benefit of
solving the Challenge must be clear.

Eligibility: Challenges can come from industry or academia. As a CRACK IT
Challenge sponsor you must be able to provide in-kind contributions to support
your Challenge. Contributions can range from compound libraries and in
vivostudies for validation of prototypes to co-funding. See current Challenges
<http://www.crackit.org.uk/crack/crackitchallenges> for examples of in-kind
contributions.

Schemes available: CRACK IT includes two Challenge-led schemes, CRACK IT
Challenges and CRACK IT Mini Challenges. We will advise on which scheme your
proposal fits under. Both schemes include funding from the NC3Rs and in-kind
contributions from sponsors. Click here<http://www.crackit.org.uk/crack> for
more information on the schemes.

Support: The CRACK IT team provides a range of support from defining your
Challenge so that it engages the global ‘3Rs brain’ to publicity to connect
diverse ‘crackers’ with expertise in the biosciences, chemistry, mathematics
and engineering. CRACK IT gives you the chance to shape technologies and
products in development to meet your needs as the end-user. Register
<http://www.crackit.org.uk/toolkit.aspx?id=31> with the CRACK IT website to
join our expanding CRACK IT community and have an impact on science, business
and the 3Rs.

Further information:

 *   The deadline for new challenge proposals is 15 April 2013.
 *   Take a look at the Challenges funded in the
2011<http://www.crackit.org.uk/crack/2011> and
2012<http://www.crackit.org.uk/crack/2012>competitions
 *   Read the Guide for Participants
<http://www.crackit.org.uk/crack/2012/processandguidance> documents from the