Re: [artworks] Sprite issue

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2014 17:14:58 +0200

In message <54121eae90riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The Bitmap export option in ArtWorks converts a vector image into the
> two most commonly used Sprite sizes - 34 x 34 and 17 x 17 in Mode 21
> (AW 256 colours) found in !Spites and !Sprites22.

> My experience is that straight lines are registered as unsighted
> jagged edges. If I look at some of the RAM Sprites using "Grab 2" I
> observe no 'jaggies'.

> Why is this please?

The Iyonix ROM sprites have actually been exported from ArtWorks, and
they have nice anti-aliased edges as you would expect.

As Tim Hill suggested, you would normally only expect to get jagged
edges if you deliberately switched off anti-aliasing in the export
dialog (hidden in the Advanced... box).

The other rather exotic approach to switching off anti-aliasing is to
import lines with a width of 0 from Draw or set the line width to 0 in
ArtWorks, but then you would also see jagged edges on screen.

That is all that can be guessed without having seen your ArtWorks file
and the exported sprite file you exported from it.