[AR] Re: say it ain't so elon

  • From: Henry Spencer <hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2018 23:34:41 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 11 Jan 2018, Keith and Mary Stormo wrote:

If we were interested in testing and understanding the usefulness of a cloud of thousands of very small satellites that work together, this is a way to deploy them and let everyone think it was just a failed orbital insertion.

As with most "this was a cover for something sneaky" hypotheses, one weakness here is that it's assumed nobody could tell the difference. Those satellites would have to be awfully small to be reliably invisible. I don't say it's impossible but it's quite a stretch.