[AR] nozzle separation (was Re: fiberglass conduit)

  • From: Henry Spencer <hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 00:02:54 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 12 Jan 2022, Troy Prideaux wrote:

Speaking of Cf from the nozzle, for long burn time single stages, there’s a staggering amount of theoretical altitude available from dialling up the expansion area of nozzle exit according up RASAero II which raises the question of flow separation and how much one can tolerate in a relatively small and stout nozzle during the early phases of flight?

Potentially a lot, with the caveat that it's a poorly-explored subject. The idea that flow separation is invariably destructive and must be avoided at all costs is a recent superstition. As I think I've mentioned before, the center ("sustainer") engine of the classical Atlas usually ran separated at sea level.

Aside from some lingering concerns about unsteady or oscillating separation, the biggest issue is that separated performance can be substantially worse than what you'd see from a nozzle cut off at the separation point. (Simple engine-performance models might not predict this accurately -- actually I'm not sure anyone knows how to predict this accurately.) The separated plume can entrain air well enough to pump the pressure in the surrounding volume of nozzle down below ambient, actively reducing net thrust. And of course the shape of the flow-attached part of the nozzle usually isn't the same as an optimal nozzle for that pressure ratio.

It does seem like something that would be worth exploring.