[AR] Re: elementary things

  • From: Ben Brockert <wikkit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 15:25:24 -0400

The cardboard cutout method is a neat shortcut, but it's very
conservative. I expect they used wind tunnels for mortar shells.

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 2:58 PM, Nels Anderson <nels.anderson@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I would think it's best to just project all fin areas onto one plane, rather
than adding up the areas of all fins. My reasoning is that as the rocket's
angle of attack increases, it's only fin area normal to the airflow that
contributes a correcting force.

On 07/14/2015 07:40 PM, John Dom wrote:

I remember there was that weighing method to determine the pressure point on
the axis of the rocket drawing. One simply cut out the rocket outline on
cardboard and noted where the figure came in balance on a scale.

But I always wondered how to draw the fin surface in 2D when 3 or 4 or 12
fins were involved (mortar shell). Does one add the surfaces up for a 2 D
representation to measure the pressure point in that case?

jd