[AR] Re: asteroid mining (was Re: This is cool.)

  • From: Terry McCreary <tmccreary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2020 07:52:56 -0500

Surely the precious metals would find new uses if they decreased in price by a factor of 100 or so.  Silver conducts electricity a little better than copper, and if it's in the elemental state, would be far less expensive and environmentally damaging to extract.  In manufacturing, many electrode materials need to be as chemically inert as is practical, and both gold and platinum excel there.  Chemical apparatus exposed to high temperatures, such as crucibles, used to be made of platinum for some very special analysis; we'd see that again.

Gold- or platinum-plated *everything*, both for looks and for corrosion resistance.  Maybe we'd see a bunch of cars sporting gold-plated bumpers. ;-)

Oh, and Fort Knox would be open to the public.  Tours and such, for a fee.  "Get your souvenir kilogram gold ingots here!  Own a piece of history!  Just $29.95, or two for $50!" :-)

Best -- Terry

On 8/15/2020 6:09 PM, Henry Spencer wrote:

On Sat, 15 Aug 2020, Michael Clive wrote:
I can't see how dropping 10 million Kg of gold on the market wouldn't just collapse the price. It might be helpful for genuine rare stuff like vanadium or scandium, but not sure how much Pt/Pd/Au/Ag we need.

Gold is valued more as a status symbol and a currency substitute than anything else -- its price would drop radically if the market got flooded by cheap new sources.  But things like tungsten and the platinum-group metals, while they do show up in things like jewelry, are valued mostly for their technical uses.  Their prices would drop some because there'd be less of a bidding war over them, but not that much.

Like, how would the world change for the better if Pt was as cheap as aluminum?

Platinum would be a great catalyst for peroxide rocketry if it wasn't so bloody expensive. :-)

Dr. Terry McCreary
Professor Emeritus
Murray State University
Murray KY  42071