[AR] Re: Why does fuel not get pushed back into the engine?

  • From: Henry Spencer <hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2021 20:13:16 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 2 Jan 2021, Charlie Jackson wrote:

I’m currently designing my own liquid-fuel rocket engine and, when drawing up the injector, I can’t get my head around what’s stopping hot combustion gas from travelling through the pipe lines because of the pressure difference. And could this be prevented with simple non-return valves?

Do you mean during operation, or during shutdown?

During operation, pressure in the feed lines must exceed chamber pressure at all times, so flow goes the right way. There is a significant pressure drop across the injector.

(Orthodox wisdom is that injector pressure drop needs to be 20% or so of the chamber pressure, to avoid "feed-coupled" low-frequency combustion instability, in which variations in chamber pressure turn into variations in flow and thus variations in burn rate and thus variations in chamber pressure. Some injector designs seem to be fine with less than 20%, but this isn't a well-explored topic.)

During shutdown, it's a really good idea to provide a purge flow of inert gas (e.g. nitrogen), in both fuel and oxidizer lines, at sufficiently high pressure that it sweeps remaining propellant out of the plumbing and then out of the chamber. This prevents various kinds of unpleasant surprises.

(If the purge gas supply pressure is regulated at a level between feed pressure and chamber pressure, then you can put check valves [non-return valves] in the purge lines, and just leave the purge supply on during the engine run -- when propellant valves close and the feed pressures start to drop, the check valves open and the purges start automatically.)