[AR] Re: Tesla Turbopump Setup?

  • From: Henry Spencer <hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2021 17:34:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 8 Aug 2021, Ismail Hozain wrote:

Henry: I do like the idea of building a pump using electric drive first. That sounds like a great idea and a lot of fun. I mostly like the idea of a tesla pump since it seems a lot easier to build than any of the other types of pumps...

An alternative would be a Barske pump -- sorta like a centrifugal pump except the impeller is just a few flat paddles extending out from the center, rather than complicated swirly :-) shapes on a backplate. The Germans tried this in WW2 as a quick and simple way to build a halfway-decent pump, and were surprised at how well it worked.