[AR] Re: Space-X landing not much to go on

  • From: Bill Claybaugh <wclaybaugh2@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2015 21:22:28 -0500

Henry:

Sorry, but in my view this argument is at least specious and possibly just an
apologia:

The asset had a value that is certainly in the millions. Had it been reusable,
it would at least have saved the cost of building another. It is not "arguable"
that had this test succeeded--and the barge subsequently brought it proud back
to the Cape--that the value of that media would have been less than millions.
The economic loss is real. Once one starts down this path, it is not
appropriate to then claim that you didn't really mean it....

The rote assertion that quick turnaround test is cheaper than analysis is in
this particular example proven bogus: using open loop hydraulic systems is a
historically well established formula for failure.  *If* that is what happened
here--I am relying on Rand's unconfirmed report--then brushing it off as the
price of experimentation is--in my view--a cheap shot. As ever, there is a
balance in these matters: if SpaceX used an open loop hydraulic system--as Rand
suggests--them they made a historically traceable mistake that points to a
failure in their systems engineering management.

Bill

Sent from my iPhone