[AR] Re: Sourcing LOX

  • From: Robert Watzlavick <rocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 22:11:02 -0600

I applied for an account with local welding supply (Matheson Tri-Gas now but I've also used Airgas). I told them what I was using it for and convinced them I wasn't a crackpot. After that, I was able to just call up and order it. I tried delivery one time at home and it was a pain because there's no convenient way to get it from their truck to my testing location. After that, I just pick it up at the cryo plant using a pickup truck with a headache rack to strap it to. That way it can stay in the truck until I drop it back off at their dock. No placards are required for amounts under 1000 lb (or so they said). At my supplier, they only have the big 160 liter dewars for rent but if you could get a smaller one, you might be able to save some money and hassle.

-Bob

On 01/18/2016 09:49 PM, Eric Sims wrote:

Hello. I have a rather simple question for the arocket group. The group I am working with is scaling to a more powerful rocket engine than we have been working with before. We have been using GOX and various fuels in the past few years, and want to move up. We are working on our 330N Thrust engine to be used with Kerosene and Liquid Oxygen. We don't have much experience with liquid oxygen, only liquid N2. We are looking for a good way to get a small quantity (a few liters) , to our testing site, which is a residential location.

I am looking for some recommendations on the best practice to do this. We are located in Connecticut, USA.

Thanks
-Eric