[AR] OT: Materials and construction of large high-altitude balloons

  • From: David McMillan <skyefire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2017 00:54:11 -0500

    So, not really on-topic, but this is probably the most likely place I can look for leads.  For reasons I'm not free to go into, I'm doing a deep dive into how large high-altitude (50-70k ft) balloons are constructed, both methods and materials.  And I'm having a devil of a time finding *anything* at all -- it doesn't seem like anyone's being *secretive,* as such, but more that those "in the know" just don't talk about it much.  Even the NASA technical reports server came up empty -- lots of papers about *using* balloons, but not a single one about how the ballons are *made*.  Maybe I'm just failing to use the right search keywords, but when I've simply searched for "balloon" and then checked every single resulting paper....

    So, given the crossover interest in using high-altitude balloons as ersatz first stages for launch systems, I'm hoping that some list members might have some knowledgeable advice on where I should go digging.