[AR] Re: NSWR (was Re: methane to methanol)

  • From: Henry Spencer <hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2017 22:31:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 1 Jun 2017, Lars Osborne wrote:

Has there been any recent research done on this?
It appears that after Zubrin's original paper there was basically no follow on research. There seems to be a lot of low-hanging fruit in terms of modeling, or attempting to build chemical reaction analogs to simulate the behavior.

I haven't seen anything more recent, that I recall. Around the same time I asked Steve Howe about it, I had a chance to ask Zubrin himself, and he said roughly: "I took it as far as I could, and published to make sure it went public -- to go much farther, a national lab would have to become interested".

Now mind you, that was 25 years ago. Whether non-national-lab expertise has improved enough since to pursue the concept in a worthwhile way, I couldn't say -- not my specialty. (Just having lots more CPU cycles doesn't mean much here; the question is whether you know how to *use* those cycles to get correct answers.)

(Oh, and before anyone says "well, what does Zubrin know?" -- bear in mind that his PhD is in nuclear engineering! Which is to say, on this topic if nothing else, he actually can claim relevant professional expertise.)