[AR] Re: Michigan Announces a vertical launch facility

  • From: Rand Simberg <simberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 12:59:21 -0700

For high inclination, right? I thought that they'd been looking at Oscoda. AFAIK, Toronto and Ottawa are OK with this. Not much to drop anything on up there except wolves and moose.

On 7/30/20 12:54 PM, Rick Wills wrote:

Interesting news from up north.

Just saw this.  Last week, Michigan announced the selection of a location on Lake Superior for vertical launches.  The article is at https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2020/07/23/michigan-rocket-launch-site-marquette/5493837002/. The location was identified as being near Marquette, MI on the north side of the Upper Peninsula.  The old Air Force base, K. I. Sawyer is near there.

I attended the Michigan Space Summit last year; these ideas were discussed in detail.  I recommended they get in touch with Spaceport America for some advice and direction; no sense in relearning all the lessons they discovered.  There is another event like the Space Summit called the North American Space Summit in late August in Traverse City, MI.   The site is at https://www.thenass.org/. The list of speakers and agenda up on their website.  I’m attending.

I may try to fly my liquid there. Only 12 hours to Michigan’s Upper Peninsula instead of 3 days to the western US.

Rick Wills