[AR] Re: Liquid rocket project update

  • From: Robert Watzlavick <rocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, ken mason <laserpro1234@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2020 07:02:36 -0500

Ken,
Based on the data from the longer run time tests, it appears to reach thermal equilibrium.  Here's a data plot of the last full run on the test stand:
http://www.watzlavick.com/robert/rocket/regenChamber3/tests/20130915-run1-data-regen3.png
I had two thermocouples (orange and purple traces) embedded partway in the outer wall between cooling jacket holes.

Thrust was right around predictions using c* and Cf correction factors.  At the bottom of this page there is a link to the design spreadsheet.
http://www.watzlavick.com/robert/rocket/regenChamber3/index.html
I designed the mixture ratio quite a bit lower (1.8) than optimal to help get the regenerative cooling solution to converge.  I measured temps about 150 degF lower than predicted so I could potentially bump it up a bit.

The engine is 6061-T6 with drilled cooling passages.  I chose an unlike impinging injector because it seemed like a way to get good mixing with a small number of elements.  In the smaller 100 lbf version, I tried a variant of a split triplet but the performance wasn't very good.  The 250 lbf version took a few iterations to get the injector right but that was mainly related to sealing of the LOX manifold and making room for the igniter.

-Bob

On 8/3/20 11:34 PM, ken mason wrote:

Nice work Robert, questions, do you think your engine reached thermal equilibrium, why an unlike injector instead of like,c* efficiency and was it made out of copper?
Interesting passive sound attenuation system, the trench.
Again, nice work,

Ken

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 8:09 PM Robert Watzlavick <rocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:rocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    I posted a project update covering the last 7 months of work on my
    biprop liquid rocket, covering parachute and telemetry testing.

    http://www.watzlavick.com/robert/rocket/index.html

    -Bob