[AR] Re: KIC 8462852

  • From: Craig Remillard <craig.rem@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 22:59:13 -0800

I'm missing why you want the radiator in any particular orientation. Seem
like anything in the dark hemisphere would be okay for a huge solar
collector.

On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 5:06 AM, Nels Anderson <nels.anderson@xxxxxxx> wrote:

No periodicity is obvious thus far, but that does not rule out multiple
objects in long-period orbits.

On 11/04/2015 12:49 PM, Paul Breed wrote:

So then we should be looking for an IR signature offset 90 degrees in
phase from the eclipses.
Phase implies a something with a period... its my understanding that the
eclipses of this star have been asyncronous...

On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 8:29 PM, Robert Steinke <robert.steinke@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

So then we should be looking for an IR signature offset 90 degrees in
phase from the eclipses.

On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 8:27 AM, Bill Kuker < <bkuker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
bkuker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I can't yet see why heat would be better radiated north and south
perpendicular to the ecliptic plane. It does seem obvious that you want the
radiator edge-on to the star, but radiating in the two directions in the
ecliptic plane and tangent to the orbit (prograde and retrograde instead of
"north and south" normal and antinormal) or even anywhere in between seems
just as rational?

On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 1:38 AM, Keith Henson < <hkeithhenson@xxxxxxxxx>
hkeithhenson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

a rationally designed thermal type power satellites radiates
the IR north and south of the ecliptic (to keep sunlight off the low
temperature radiators).