[AR] Re: Flight Controller Features

  • From: qbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 17:02:31 -0700

Hi Henery

RC controlled parachute can absolutely work. We've seen Armadillo do it on at least one occasion and the Condor team did dozens of flights, not all successful. the to Kicker for us was deployment and the fact that occasionally we were 40km downrange so although they landed good some were still miles away, a problem you should not have with rocketry. All it takes is a single control line to get tangled and it not landing where you want it too. never could get it above a 75% success rate.

Robert

At 04:45 PM 1/11/2016, you wrote:

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016, rebel without a job wrote:
A guided parachute seems wonderful. I'd prefer a choppy landing near me to a choppy landing in a distant, unknown location...

The fancier gliding parachutes can also do a flare maneuver to provide a relatively gentle touchdown. Provided, that is, that you've got the sensors and controls needed to time it just right. Hardware and software for that could take a fair bit of developing.