[AR] Re: Faster Space Transport?

  • From: Henry Spencer <hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2019 16:41:15 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 29 Aug 2019, David Spain wrote:

      ...Most current thinking is
      in terms of "nuclear safe" orbits, where you can abandon a hot
      reactor and have it stay up long enough that most of the bad
      stuff has decayed before it reenters...

On the political side, I'd love to see a consensus on a "nuclear safe"
orbit. Good luck finding one.

Actually, for this case the thinking has already been done, and there is reasonable agreement: no operation below 600-800km (depending on the details), no final disposal below 1000km or so.

Note that I'm not talking about what it takes to get every empty-headed politician to sign up for this, but rather about what answer a thoughtful politician will get if he asks his sources whether there's a consensus on the right answer. If so, yes, you still have to worry about selling it to the empty-headed ones. But if there's no consensus -- if you're proposing something new that nobody's thought about, so even a thoughtful politician will be left wondering whether to believe that your proposal is a responsible one -- then the problem instantly becomes an order of magnitude harder.