[AR] Re: Current Laws for Solids?

  • From: Dan Pastuf <dmpastuf@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 10:59:15 -0700

Its worth noting as far as the regulatory environment is concerned, most US
city and county governments have adopted the NFPA 1127 for governing the
design and construction of High Power Rocketry.  For your stated
application, use with a University, Chapter 1.3.3 (3) is relevant in that
it specifically exempts the design, construction, production, manufacture,
fabrication, maintenance, launch, flight, test, operation, use, or other
activity connected with a rocket or rocket motor where carried out by a
College or University.

Assuming there are no local adoptions/edits to NFPA made by city, county,
state, etc governments, the regulatory environment for APCP would then be
on the materials/environmental impact end of things (as the BATFE cannot
regulate it as a low explosive per the lawsuits), and the flight itself
under the FAA code.  Granted shipping materials can be regulated under
various laws and rules and qty limits, and sometimes the stores themselves
have put in place limitations for insurance reasons.

Its also worth noting that the exemption granted to University and Colleges
is to enable experimentation guided by strong engineering principles
operating under the spirit, though not necessarily the letter, of the NFPA
code.  It does however make the legal situation relatively more simple and
complex at the same time.

NFPA 1127 is available to read for free online if you sign up on the NFPA's
website and is relatively plain text.

-Dan

Daniel M Pastuf
(315) 569-5251