[AR] Re: Boy Scout leader killed by model rocket

  • From: "Marcus D. Leech" <mleech@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 20:37:42 -0500

On 11/17/2015 08:31 PM, BrianK ABQ wrote:

Yes,

I read one article that used the term "lawn dart"; though I didn't
keep the link. I believe it also mentioned the rocket was made of PVC.

Certainly a "lawn darted" (if you're unfamiliar with the term lawn
dart, it means a rocket that comes right back to the ground without
it's recovery system deploying. Not uncommon in HPR) rocket of modest
weight could kill someone if it hit them head on.

How terrible!
I've seen rockets with the right ballistics come in at insane speeds. No way would you want to be standing in a path between it and the
crater it's about to make.

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 5:17 PM, Thom Vincent <sworkeld@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Does anyone know about this? The news articles are not very informative.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-man-killed-homemade-rocket-20151116-story.html

I'm trying to figure out how a model rocket can kill somebody by simply
flying in to their face. I'm sure an HPR could kill someone, but I am
assuming the Boy Scouts would only be launching Estes type rockets made of
cardboard and balsa wood. I can see maybe loosing an eye or getting burns,
but not seeing an Estes rocket as life threatening.

Any info on this? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Thom