[AR] Re: Ablative chamber fabricators

  • From: Eric Boyer <jeb19@xxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2017 12:06:37 -0400

At 09:21 PM 6/25/2017, Ben Brockert wrote:

Thanks David, I'll ping them.

>From the documents I found it seems like Nasa made the nozzle for
Fastrac in house. Does anyone know who produced the Merlin 1A chambers
that followed it?

On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 9:30 AM, David Hoerr <dave.hoerr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> AAE Aerospace in Huntington Beach did a pretty good job for us at AirLaunch
> a while back.
>
> On Sat, Jun 24, 2017 at 11:14 PM, Ben Brockert <wikkit@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Any recommendations for a company to fabricate flight-weight ablative
>> chambers for a liquid engine in the few thousand pounds of thrust
>> class?
>>
>> I worked with one company for this sort of thing previously and they
>> delivered mediocre hardware, so I'm looking for other options.

I'm a bit late to the thread here, but we had some unsatisfactory experiences with AAE when having them fabricate a set of 2-D CCP nozzle test samples for a research program.

The first set came in as a total negative of the provided Solidworks drawing (filled where there should be space, and milled out where the material should be), and a portion of the samples had an internal kink in the ply angle (that we didn't discover until post-test sectioning) making it more difficult to analyze the data.

We had heard good things about them and their products from some of the larger primes/gov't, so our experience was quite disappointing -- perhaps they're not focused on relatively small custom orders. Caveat emptor.

Eric

Eric Boyer jeb19@xxxxxxx