[AR] Re: AMAS 17 launch with a Falcon 9 today

  • From: "Doug Jones" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "randome" for DMARC)
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2019 16:50:36 -0600

No, that's LOX, illuminated by sunlight. That engine start does seem to have had a longer fuel lag than normal, though. Perhaps the sequencer was targeting a particular LOX dome temperature to ensure full density and prevent a mixture ratio departure during the start. In videos of the Xracer in flight, you can see the LOX Chill valve cycling to control the dome temperature for that very reason; on some starts the of Ez-Rocket's engines the mixture could momentarily go very rich and cause a brief flameout and relight, begging for a hardstart. We added chill valves for all our LOX-using engines after that and I had fewer heart palpitations.

On 2019-08-07 9:21 AM, John Dom wrote:

Just wondering. Looking at the stage 2 onboard camera footage: it showed a wet non-luminous exhaust as if it were water vapor. Does that imply unburnt RP-1 surplus (fuel rich) of the stage 1 exhaust would **not** be luminous in the vacuum of space like in part of the return trajectory? Not clear to me.

Unless stage 2 combustion was not as fuel rich as stage 1 is the reason.

Anybody?

John