[AR] Re: 3 no 4 no 5 legs.

  • From: Henry Spencer <hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 18:09:20 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 20 Jan 2016, Henrik Schultz wrote:

Maybe I missed someone already mentioning this, but ... why not use an arm catching system, like on the Soyuz launch pad only in reverse? I mean, SpaceX have nailed it on the "X" on the barge twice, but had the rocket tip over subsequently. Wouldn't it be possible to move 2-3-4 arms in to at least form a cushioned ring - perhaps with some slack - about the mid-to-upper part of the rocket above CG?

In practice, you might not be able to grab a big rocket just anywhere -- even empty, it may not be strong enough except at specific places. The Soyuz arms mate to the same reinforced ring that carries the thrust of the first-stage modules into the second stage (the core module).

On a side note: I guess the barge landing is just because the brass don't want to risk damaging the Vandenberg infrastructure ;-)

Vandenberg reportedly is a somewhat difficult place to operate, with a lot of constraints on facilities changes, and there may not have been a handy abandoned pad site to use.