[ARMini-support] Setting time of day.

  • From: Jim Lesurf <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 15:17:21 +0000 (GMT)

With some kind help I've been working on trying to produce a simple
application that will set the real time clock's 'time of day' by comparing
it with a standard (time.nist.gov).

I now have a program that sort of works, so others might want to test it.
Please note if you do, though.

1) This is ' very beta version 0.01'. Certain to be buggy and unreliable.

2) It only tries to compare the *time of day* with nist and set that part
of the computer clock. i.e. it takes for granted that your computer's day
and date are already set OK. That means the current version is of no use if
your clock doesn't already know the day and date. It also only works with
an accuracy of 1 second or so.

3) Read the !Help file first as it explains in more detail.

4) Take care. Use at your own risk.

I've tested it here with my machine set to GMT and with and without the DST
flag ticked. But it may fail for various reasons at other times and places
/ time zones I've not been able to check. I'm still testing, but it seems
(mostly) OK here at present.

For safety it compares the clocks, shows you the results, then asks if you
want your real time clock set accordingly. This is so you can choose not to
do anything given the results shown.

All being well if I can sort out remaining bugs it may be possible to
change it to having an 'automatic' mode so it sets the clock with no user
interaction in future if the user sets it to work in that way. But at
present I suspect that would be risky. :-) I may also be able to change to
having it set the complete time and date if I can work out the best way.

Please note it does not affect the clock *rate*. It *sets* the clock, it
does not 'regulate' it.

You can get the current version from

http://jcgl.orpheusweb.co.uk/temp/JimTime.zip

Cheers,