[ARMini-support] Caution - SystemDisc

  • From: A Rawnsley <rcomp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 16:40:10 GMT

Ben Avison recently released a most useful program - SystemDisc - but
I thought I should report a short cautionary tale to users, after one
poor chap had an unfortunate experience.

It would appear that SystemDisc writes data to the main SD (or
microSD) slot on your motherboard, by default.  This is the same slot
used by Pi, Panda, ARMiniX and 5.20-ARMinis for booting and is your
main drive.

Although his data appeared in tact, the customer managed to
wipe/damage the bootable portion of his SD card, making his machine
unbootable until a different card was used.

Because this was quite serious, I'm writing this cautionary note to
warn SystemDisc owners to be extremely careful when using the program.
You may be best advised to remove your (micro)SD card from your
computer's main board prior to using SystemDisc, just in case.

Please note, this should email should in no way be inferred as a
"knock" on SystemDisc, but rather that I'm trying to avoid any other
customers having to make a similar "emergency" call to me (gentle
smile).

Kind wishes,

Andrew

--
R-Comp
22 Robert Moffat, High Legh, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 6PS