Re: [ARMini-support] reading Armini's SD card elsewhere

  • From: Chris Hall <chris@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 18:26:31 GMT

In message <3707391a55.jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Jim Nagel <jimmini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Will it be possible for me to read my files off the Armini's microSD
card if I insert it into my Windoze laptop, which has Virtual Acorn on
it?
No.

My suggestion if you have another SD card, either identical or bigger,
is to first use Win32DiskImager to read the whole SD card image from
the SD card to a file 'filename.img'. Then use the same software to
write the same image to the new card. That gives you a backup of the
whole card.

Then look at the original SD card on your Windows machine and make
sure you can see the FAT partition and the start up files it should
contain (Boot.scr, MLO etc.). So far as Windows is concerned, the rest
of the SD card is unused (it actually contains the RISC OS filecore
partition) so don't try to do much else on Windows.

You can then copy the start up files somewhere handy on your Windows
machine. Do a quick format of the card, altering nothing (same size
etc.) under windows, then copy the start up files back, starting with
'MLO'. It should then boot up ok.

--
Chris Hall <chris@xxxxxxxxxx>