Re: [ARMini-support] !Printers -- "squished"

  • From: A Rawnsley <rcomp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 21:11:37 +0100

Hi Guys,

We've had the "alignment on/off" debate before on the list, and
frankly I'd rather not go through it again.  Please see list archives
on freelists if you're interested.

Users have a clear choice - off for increased software availability at
the risk of potential (but rare) hidden issues.  At this point, it is
likely that most such issues will have reared their head for existing
customers.

Or "on", for strict compatibility, but essentially stopping 32bit, but
not ARMv7-safe, programs working, when they may have done otherwise.
But, perhaps, gaining a slight boost to overall stability because "who
knows what's lurking in those unsafe programs?".

I understand that certain folks believe strongly that everyone should
run with exceptions "on", and that's fine, but please don't try and
scare others into that same world view.  Especially when it means
people have to give up software that otherwise works for them.  RISC
OS software a precious enough commodity as it is!

Andrew

--
R-Comp
22 Robert Moffat, High Legh, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 6PS