Re: [ARMini-support] NetTime 2

  • From: Alan P Dawes <alan.dawes@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 11:50:22 +0000 (GMT)

In article <33a2295e52.pittdj+@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
   David Pitt <pittdj@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> There is a currently running thread on a batteryless BB-xm getting
> stuck in 1970 on startup. I am starting a new thread as this is not
> quite the same thing.

> It is catching, this ARMini, with a battery, started up in 1970 this
> morning.

> *nettime_status
> Current time:    Friday, 2 January 1970 01:05:12.46
> Last adjustment: 1 minute 14 seconds ago
> Last error:      0.869211 seconds slow
> Last server:     ntp.plus.net
> Last protocol:   SNTP
> Poll interval:   30 minutes
> Timer latch:     128700 (+10000ppm)
> *

> Except that the time came right as the *nettime_kick command was being
> typed!!

That's to be expected if the battery is flat or not present as I explained
in a post to the original thread. When it gets run near the end of !Boot,
!NetTime reads the time from a net time server and then goes to sleep for
about 4 minutes before it again reads the time from a time server, if it
is consistent with the previous reading only then will it correct the
internal clock's time. So there is about 4 minutes from turning on until
the clock is reset. This always happens to those of us without a battery
in our BB-xms, unless steps, like those suggested by Chris Hall, to kick
!NetTime after it has done its first reading of a net time server. Chris's
method didn't work for me as in !Boot, Tasks containing his SetTime BASIC
program is run before !NetTime - in my next posting to the original thread
I have described what I have done.

Alan

--
alan.dawes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx