[argyllcms] Re: udev/ConsoleKit and device permissions under Linux

  • From: Roland Mas <lolando@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 16:56:20 +0100

Frederic Crozat, 2010-01-26 16:10:02 +0100 :

[...]

>> otherwise.  From my understanding, there are three possible scenarios:
>>
>> 1. Recent udev with udev-acl, ConsoleKit is also present.
>> 2. Recent udev, but no ConsoleKit.
>> 3. “Old” udev.
>
> If you don't have consolekit support, it usually mean you didn't built
> acl support in udev so udev-acl isn't installed on the system.

  Not necessarily.  You can have a recent udev (>= 146, which ships
udev-acl) without ConsoleKit.  It's probably not frequent on default
installations (especially for desktop systems), so I agree it's a corner
case, but it can happen nevertheless.

> This is what I suggested to Graeme when we tried to get a "work
> everywhere" udev rules.

  I understand the motivation.  I'm just not sure the implementation
catches all cases :-)

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

Using a big hammer without caution can cause big damage.
  -- PostgreSQL documentation, chapter 42