[argyllcms] Re: ubuntu-10.10-desktop-amd64: dispcal -D5 -? hangs

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 12:53:55 +1000

Hal V. Engel wrote:

This may work for some situations but it is far from fool proof.  One example.
I have a time keeping serial GPS connected to my system (Motorola Oncore UT+)
that is used by ntp for precise time keeping (<  +- 1 microsecond after it has
stabilized).  Nothing related to this including the kernel module that creates
the interrupt from the one second pulse that marks the epoch or ntp creates a
lock of any kind.  Messing with this serial port could cause a time keeping
failure on systems like mine.   This type of set up is not common since Pulse
Per Second (PPS) support was only added to the linux kernel recently (2.6.32 -
FreeBSD has had this for several years now and is the reference
implementation) but I suspect that PPS support is only one example of systems
that do not create locks when using a serial port.

Hi Hal,
        this is an unfortunate example. I notice that the setserial
program gets more information about the serial ports by opening them
O_NONBLOCK and then doing an ioctl TIOCGSERIAL. So it would seem
that anyone doing a "setserial -g /dev/ttyS*" will upset
your device. I notice that similar information is
in /proc/tty/driver/serial, but the software would need
elevated privileges to read this file. In contrast, attempting
to open the devices ends up listing devices that could be
opened with the current credentials.