[argyllcms] ti3 files - what does data in columns mean?

  • From: David Heinrich <dh003i@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 23:09:51 -0500

I pasted the results of 3 chartreads into an Excel file. This doesn't
tell how accurate the device is, but it does show that for reading
printed charts of color patches, it is very repeatable and produces
almost exactly the same result every time...for he most part. I
repeated the chartread step three times (see results in Excel file).
Thoughts?

One of my .ti3 files and the .xls file with the data and analysis in it:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6619242/HP-B8550-435-patches.ti3  (122 KB)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6619242/HP-B8550-435-patches.xls (2 MB)

It seems to me that from looking at these results, the ColorMunki is
pretty reproducible. However, I don't understand what the data in each
of the columns is. Is each row a series of 39 readings over one patch?
Or does each of the 39 columns represent some different piece of
information about a patch?

I did the following:
./targen -v -d2 -f435 -c path-to-preconditioned-profile.icc HP-B8550-435-patches

./printtarg -v -i i1 -h -T -p Letter HP-B8550-435-patches

I then printed out the resulting .tif file from GIMP, disabling
color-management in GIMP before printing.

sudo ./chartread ./HP-B8550-435-patches

I'm using the tighter color patches designed for the i1pro (the -i i1
option), but the ColorMunki can read those patches fine. The -h does
nothing and is ignored when using -i i1, but if you use -i CM for
color-munki sized patches, -h uses smaller patches with the
ColorMunki.

I used the box that my 11x8.5 Canon Photo Matte paper comes in as the
"ruler" to guide the ColorMunk along the test charts.