[argyllcms] Re: profile -S -g

  • From: Gerhard Fuernkranz <nospam456@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 09:53:16 +0200

Klaus Karcher wrote:
> Gerhard "Schlitzohr" ;-) Fuernkranz wrote:
>> Klaus,
>>
>> if you only want to use perceptual intent, and if your RIP is not too
>> picky and also accepts a non-compliant, rudimentary profile with many
>> missing tags (and a B2A0 table only),
>
> it's ok -- at least for testing.
>
>> missing tags (and a B2A0 table only), then you could try something like
>>
>> profile -v -qh -B your_printer_argyll  (=> only A2B1 table is relevant
>> below)
>>
>> argyll_icclink -v -G -ip -cpp -dpp ISOcoated_v2_eci.icc
>> your_printer_argyll.icc link.icc
>>
>> lcms_icclink -t0 -c2 -x -o your_printer_rudimentary.icc "*Lab"
>> ISOcoated_v2_eci.icc link.icc
>>

> I tried it, and -- even though I have *no* idea why -- it works :-)
>
> Can you explain whats going on?

This was of course rather not meant as a final, exact solution, but
rather as a quick and dirty hack, based on your assumption that most of
your color spaces are similar to ISOcoated. Eventually the above
procedure results in printing a proof for ISOcoated on your printer,
which uses not absolute, but perceptual intent for proofing (so that the
ISOcoated gamut will be remapped to your printer's gamut; in particular
the netural axis will be stretched or compressed as necessary).

I.e. the transformation behind the scenes is eventually

source color space -> perceptual -> ISOcoated -> perceptual -> your printer

Regards,
Gerhard