[argyllcms] printarg -T option and 16-bit printer driver question

  • From: Tolga Yurek <tyurek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 13:37:30 -0700

Hi,

I have a Canon iPF6100 printer and a ColorMunki Photo. The Canon printer has a
Photoshop plug-in which enables a 16-bit color flow as opposed to the 8-bit OS
driver. If I want to generate a profile to be used with the 16-bit utility,
should I execute printarg with the -T option? Similarly, must I use the -t
option if I'm using the 8-bit OS driver? Will the -T/-t  generate what is
called 16-bit/8-bit profiles respectively? I'm not sure what that exactly means
but I'm guessing the RGB entries inside the generated ICM profile will be
either 16-bit or 8-bit color values. The question is does the printer driver
being 8-bit or 16-bit necessitate the usage of the correct type of profile? I
can of course experiment to see what happens with which combination but I'd
like to learn what really should be happening. Thanks.

-tolga