[argyllcms] Re: "non free" license for doc/SG_header.txt file

  • From: Florian Höch <lists+argyllcms@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 14:26:33 +0200

Hi,

Am 26.06.2012 12:41, schrieb Frederic Crozat:
> Hi all,
>
> our legal team noticed the file doc/SG_header.txt which contains the
> following text:
> DESCRIPTOR "The data in this file is reported in CIE L* a* b* data for
> illuminant D50 and 2 degree observer and is being supplied by X-Rite, Inc.
> This
> information can be used for personal and educational but not for commercial
> purposes without license from X-rite, Inc."
>
> This is a bit problematic (even if I'm guessing it was extraction from
> a "real file". Do you think it is ok to remove the "and is being
> supplied by X-Rite... without license from X-rite, Inc." since,
> according to doc/Scenarios.html, it is to create a file based on user
> data (and not X-Rite data) ?

As I understand it, the very reason for that descriptor text is that the
header file is meant to be used with data supplied by X-Rite (as the
docs point out), not user data. It doesn't apply to the SG_header.txt
file, but to the resulting file that the user has to create themselves
by prepending SG_header.txt/SG_footer.txt to the X-Rite supplied Lab
values
(http://www.xrite.com/documents/apps/public/digital_colorchecker_sg_l_a_b.txt
as linked from the Argyll docs).
I'd assume the standalone SG_header.txt file has the same license as
most of Argyll CMS (ie. Affero GPLv3).

--
Florian Höch