[argyllcms] Re: lightness adaptation algorithms

  • From: Rolf Gierling <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 19:29:56 +0200

Hi Roberto,

know, "change your proofer", but no, the problem is the source which
is the ubiquotuos (here) Matchprint.

Not the proofer, but the paper would help.

Question is, what's the best curve/formula/algorithm do to it? because linear scaling doesn't sound as the best. Maybe scaling with some perceptually linear gamma (L* is not perceptually linear, right?); or maybe in shadows we need to scale a* and b* too, to preserve the original chroma slope on the gamut edge. Maybe a scaling function that gets applied only on the ends but merges smoothly into the rest of the range. Or whatever. Suggestions?

Linear scaling is, from what I know, the best. I made research in this in my examination, and I have never seen any other document that say something else.

Also, in your special case, if you are really mapping
from 95/5 to 93/7, the midtone will exactly remain 50.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong

Rolf

Multitools
Dipl.-Ing. Rolf Gierling