[argyllcms] Re: dtp22 not working with Argyll

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 16:41:28 +1100

Alan Rockwood wrote:
"Got fatal error ‘Not expected instrument model’ (Instrument password was
rejected)"

So, I guess I have one of the oddball versions of the dtp22. Is there any way
to find
the password? My Unit is marked "ColorMark calibrator" on the top of the unit.
On the
box it says, "MacDermid GRAPHICARTS ColorSpan". On the bottom, just below the
dtp22
label it says "E165006". I wonder if the "E165006" is the password or is somehow
related to the password.

For the DTP22 it's more than a password, it's a challenge/response using
an algorithm. There are too many combinations to simply iterate
through possibilities, so the main practical way of discovering it
is to dis-assemble a working driver for that particular instrument.
I suppose another way would be to capture the coms for between the
working driver and instrument, and then try all reasonable combination
purely in software, but even this may take too long.