[argyllcms] Re: absolute made relative

  • From: Gerhard Fuernkranz <nospam456@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 14:46:54 +0200

Roberto Michelena wrote:
>> All the colors in an ICC profile are stored as white point
>> relative, so looked at from the absolute intent point of view,
>> the whole profile can be shifted by manipulating the white
>> point in the profile.
>
> That's what I knew. So that means yes?if I edit the media white point
> of the source profile, to match the one from the destination profile,

... or vice versa ...

> will I get an absolute rendering that is identical to the relative
> rendering of the unedited profiles?

Basically yes.

In order that this will work with V4 profiles in the same way, it is
necessary, that either the illuminant of the src and dst profile is the
same (e.g. both profiles made for D50 illuminant, or both for D65
illuminant), or that your "absolute rendering" refers to the
(illuminant-relative) ICC-absolute intent, not to the "traditional" one.

Regards,
Gerhard