[argyllcms] Using VRML to visualize RGB data

  • From: Roger Breton <graxx@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 15:57:36 -0500

I'm looking for a way to have my students visualize RGB code values
"natively", not linked to a CIE space of some sort.

My goal is to be able to demonstrate the color space sampling of, say, an
IT8.7 target such as the one attached (hope it will come through).

I found a few neat java applet that interactively allows visualizing
movements inside RGB color space, in 3D. But nothing that would allow me to
load a text file, that would contains all the RGB data points of an IT8.7
(such as the one attached) and that would allow me to visualize it in 3D
space (without the usual CIELab distorsions). Ideally, I would like VRML to
show the vertices of the RGB cube along with the positions of my list of
data points inside the cube. I believe such an exercice for the students
would have a high pedagogical value.

A side effect of this application would be to generate what I would consider
a more "even" sampling of RGB space for the purpose of developping color
scanner targets.

Right now, I intend to have the attached IT8.7 file outputted at my local
photofinisher on photographic media. Then I should measure all the patches
and use that data file in the classroom for the students to build scanner
targets. But I know there are big "holes" in the IT8.7 dataset.

Best regards and happy holidays!

Roger Breton