[argyllcms] Re: Seeking Generic CMYK Profile

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: homann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 23:04:22 +1000

Jan-Peter Homann wrote:

> Hello Gerhard, hello List
> As I understand the documentation of Argyllcms, the -k options are only
> depending from the lightness of an color and not from the saturation
>
> graeme, is this interpretation right ?

Yes it is. Of course one could create any sort of black generation
rule you like, if you're prepared to define it, and code it.

> For a first version, I would try
> -kr
> (selects a linear locus ramp, starting at minimum black for highlight,
> and maximum black for shadow (equivalent to -kp 0 0 1 1 1)
> -I 340
> -L 99
> -s photogamut.icc (this profile has a gamut very similar to the ICC
> reference-medium gamut. See also http://www.photogamut.org
>
> If you would calculate a profile based on FOGRA27 charecterization-data,
> I would make some comparisons to ISOcoated.icc from ECI and
> EuropeISOcoatedFOGRA27.icc from Adobe

What I'd do is use xicclu -fif -g to see what effects the different
-k parameters have, as well as testing the profile out on a grey ramp,
and tuning it. For FOGRA27 for instance, I picked -k p 0 0.05 0.7 0.6 1.5 -l280
as a reasonable start.