[argyllcms] Results with ColorMunki / Learning Curve?

  • From: Terry Ritz <t.ritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 19:53:48 -0600

Hi folks. I¹m new to the list.

The ColorMunki seems to get mixed reviews as a turnkey solution, although I
suspect that the current X-Rite software release is producing reasonably
good colour printer profiles now. However, the instrument itself seems
pretty solid, and I¹m considering an approach where I start with the
ColorMunki and its bundled software, and then move to the Argyll CMS to take
things to the next level. To that end, I would appreciate help with the
following questions.

What kind of results are you getting with the ColorMunki, specifically in
the creation of high quality, colour profiles & prints? I print from a Mac,
via the Epson driver, to an Epson 3800 with K3 inks.

How long is the Colormunki / Argyll learning curve? I¹m on a Mac. I¹ve used
SpyderPrint for years. I've worked with ink limits, partitioning and
linearization for years via the Quadtone RIP for black and white curve
creation. However, I have not worked with a colour RIP. I am an IT
professional, but not a programmer.

Thanks.

Terry.