[argyllcms] Re: Question regarding Profile Validation

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2014 03:59:56 +1100

robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Yes, I agree that an average dE of 0.7 is good; around 85 out of 100 values
are around 1.0 or below, with around 40 values under 0.5.  I'm not so sure
that 15 values over 1.0, with 4 over 2.0 is so great though, considering
that all of the colors are guaranteed in-gamut.

Note that V1.7 will have a new -h option for colverify that plots an
error histogram. This can be quite useful in judging the significance
of errors. The above error ranges look good for a print device, although
it all depends on the device capability, paper uniformity, ink uniformity,
and instrument repeatability.

My concern is that I may not be testing correctly.

Generally errors will be much worse if you have messed the workflow
up.

But most of all I would like to know why I
have to use the -N flag in colverify, in view of the fact that the test is
Absolute all the way through.  Taking N out results in BAD dEs!

You don't, although it may better represent the visual error if you assume
complete viewer adaptation to the white point.