[argyllcms] "Proofing" an unprofiled monitor, on a wide gamut profiled monitor

  • From: Michael Darling <darlingm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 03:34:05 -0400

Hi,

I have several clients who have massive amounts of digital photographs
adjusted so they look just how they want them... On their unprofiled
display.  :(  Rather than re-adjust all their photos, they'd prefer to pay
me to color correct them as they need them printed.

I'm wondering if it would be possible for me to "see what they saw" when
they made it -- without purchasing a monitor identical to theirs, bringing
it along with my computer to their location, and calibrating it to display
like theirs -- using a spectrophotometer to compare dE values - to make
sure they were similar dE values - not targeted to be around 0 like you
would be if you were profiling.)

Logically, it seems to me like if we can define how their monitor displays
color by using a spectrophotometer to take readings or make an ICC profile,
it should be possible to use that information to (somewhat, not exactly)
get the image to display on my wide gamut monitor like how they see it.
 (Then profile their monitor, so they can do it correctly from now on.)
 Sort of like a reverse soft proof?...

Thanks!

Mike