[argyllcms] Re: Problem with packaging profile

  • From: Alexey Gribunin <Gribunin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 16:53:14 +0400

Hello Vladimir!

Your printing process has very bad gradation curves. Please take a look on dot gain curves on screenshot. You will not get good results with such dot gain curves.
So first of all you need to smooth it.
You can do it in PrintOpen, I would suggest to use smoothing factor at least 9. After that you can create ICC profile wherever you want. ArgyllCMS colprof also has average deviation feature -r (something like smoothing), but it cannot do such powerfull smoothing you need.

Best regards,
Alexey Gribunin.

Vladimir Gajic wrote:
Hello@all

in the attachment you will find ti3-data from a packaging print I´ve
tried to profile using Argyll V.1.3.5.
No matter what I did, I wasn´t able to get a decent result, so maybe
on of you guys have a better idea.
The print is very inconsistent, especially the gray-axis. Anyway -this
is quite a real-life situation in packaging.

I tried also to build a profile using other packages (e.g. PrintOpen).
The results where somehow better, but still not satisfying.
Maybe this example also could be a good test-item for Graeme?

Some parameters needed:

Total area coverage: 340%
The separation should be UCR (under colour removal)
The black should start at approx. 25% an reach his maximum at 95%

Thank´s in advance for any input.

Vladimir

GIF image