[argyllcms] Re: Probably a simple question

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 May 2011 09:55:40 +1000

Ron Gage wrote:
This is in regards to display profiling via dispcal. As most of you
know, dispcal can calibrate brightness on an LCD monitor. What I am
having problems finding is something that says what the numbers should
be (menu items #3 and #4 specifically). I am presuming that the "R+ G--
B+" bit on the reading line are saying something to the effect of "Red
is high, Green is very low and Blue is high". What about the brightness
value - what SHOULD it be; what units is the readout in (is the readout
in any units at all)? What about the contrast level.

As explained in the dispcal documentation
<http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/dispcal.html#Adjustment>
the "+" "++" "-" "--" symbols indicate which way to move
your controls, so in fact this is opposite to the current
state (ie. "R--" means that red is much too high). The measurement
units are as indicated (ie. cd/m^2 for brightness, same as the command line
parameter, x,y chromaticity coordinates for the color, etc.).

I know it might be a distraction here, but I think it would be quite
useful for a "HOWTO" guide to be created that details in non-technical
terms exactly what steps to take, in what order, with what guidelines to
follow and numbers to target in order to get a good profile.

It's difficult to be non-technical about a technical subject. If you think
the documentation could be improved, by all means point out specific areas of
confusion that could be clarified. There is some advice on choosing targets,
but the difficulty is that this depends so much on the individual circumstances